In January 2009, the Humane Society of Greater Kansas City (HSGKC) embarked upon a venture to partner with Kansas City, KS Animal Control to save the city shelter's pets before their time was up. We never imagined that together we could save so many of them. Since its inception, the Ray of Hope program has saved the lives of thousands of pets.
How We're Saving Lives:
- Funding for Ray of Hope allows all of the dogs and cats to be spayed/neutered and to receive medical examinations, vaccinations, heartworm and FIV/Feline Leukemia tests, and other medical care needed. Gabriel's Fund is also used to help meet additional veterinary costs of injured and very sick pets.
- HSGKC's veterinary staff travels to KCK Animal Control (KCKAC) to provide veterinary care for the animals in their shelter. We provide spay/neuter services for dogs and cats before they are adopted from KCKAC. We also work with the animal control staff educating them on best practices for cleaning protocols, care and feeding of the animals.
- KCKAC utilizes a network of no-kill shelters, rescue groups and breed rescues. Each week, animals at KCKAC are transferred to no-kill groups who will find permanent homes for these pets.
- To help find homes for the pets remaining at the KCKAC shelter, HSGKC volunteers conduct satellite adoption events every weekend at the PetSmart in Olathe. This has dramatically increased the number of adoptions for the city shelter.
- To reduce the numbers of animals ending up at KCK Animal Control, HSGKC accepts homeless animals directly into our shelter and spay/neuter and provide all veterinary care for them before placing them up for adoption in our shelter or transferring them to other no-kill rescue groups.
Because of the Ray of Hope, thousands of dogs and cats at the KCK Animal Control shelter have been given a second chance.
Featured in The Kansas CIty Star: HSGKC's Life Saving Ray of Hope Program
"Pledge to Save Animals in Terrible Condition Puts Humane Society in a Pinch" by Eric Adler... view article >
photo: The Kansas City Star